A wood disc chipper, also known as a wood chipper or wood shredder, is a machine used to process wood logs, branches, or other wood waste into smaller wood chips or wood chunks. It is commonly used in the forestry and woodworking industries for various purposes, such as producing wood chips for biomass fuel, mulching, composting, or as raw material for the production of wood-based products.
Disc chipper is a special equipment for the preparation of high quality wood chips. It can cut high quality industrial wood chips with uniform growth degree, smooth incision and uniform thickness, including logs and small paths. It can also cut laminates and plates.
Main components of a wood disc chipper
- Feeding Mechanism: The feeding mechanism is designed to accept the wood logs or branches and feed them into the cutting chamber.
- Cutting Disc: The cutting disc is the main cutting component of the chipper. It consists of sharp blades or knives mounted on a rotating disc. The wood is fed into the cutting chamber, and the rotating disc with the blades chops the wood into smaller pieces.
- Discharge System: The discharge system is responsible for ejecting the processed wood chips or chunks from the machine. It can include a chute or conveyor system to direct the chips into a collection area or a transportation system.
- Power Source: Wood disc chippers are typically powered by internal combustion engines or electric motors, providing the necessary power to drive the cutting disc and other components.
Disc chippers can process limbs whose diameter is under 120mm, barks whose width is under 160-180mm, and the scraps from rotary cutter.
Disc chipper are widely used in biomass production plants, pulp mills, paper mills, fibreboard factories, and preparation workshops. It is the first choice to process wood chips.
Features of Wood Disc Chipper
- Disc chippers have compact and proper structure. They feature high capacity, steady performance and high safety. You can operate and maintain it conveniently.
- A disc chipper is composed of an engine base, a feed port, a chipper disc, cutters, a cabinet, and an electronic controller. You can adjust the cutters to produce chips of different sizes and thicknesses.
Working Principle of Wood Disc Chipper
- Feeding the Wood Material: Wood materials, such as logs or branches, are fed into the chipper through the feed port .
- Rotation of the Chipper Disc: The chipper disc, which is a large rotating disc, is powered by an engine. It spins at a high speed to facilitate the chipping process .
- Cutting Action: As the wood materials come into contact with the rotating chipper disc, the sharp blades or knives mounted on the disc cut and chip the wood into smaller pieces .
- High-Speed Airflow: The cut wood chips are propelled out of the cutting chamber by the high-speed airflow generated by the fan blades. This airflow helps to carry the chips away from the cutting area .
- Discharge of Wood Chips: The wood chips are then discharged through a chute or conveyor system, where they can be collected or further processed for various applications .